Monday, April 6, 2009

What happens when you stay home for 8+ weeks?

Do you know what happens when you stay home for 8+ weeks and you aren't allowed to drive anywhere? You watch way too much DIY and HGTV. Then you get lots of ideas of things that you would like to do in your home. And knowing that we were going to have to make some changes so that we could fit the piano from my parents house into our formal living room meant that we needed to make some updates. One project led to another (for Ashley of course)and here is what we have done so far:
1. New trim around the windows in the family room.
2. New trim around the doorway to the formal dining room (which is a playroom right now).
3. New stacked stone around the fireplace instead of ceramic tile.
4. This meant that we needed a new paint color on the walls.
5. Then I decided that 8 years of looking at the furniture in the same way meant it was time to re-arrange. Which I found hard considering the layout of the family room.
6. Some new window coverings and throw pillows.
7. We still have a few more things to do to try to make it look finished like adding crown molding in the family room and finish out the formal living so we can move the piano.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

I have also made some things for the girls since my hand will finally let me do a little bit of sewing at a time. I made the girls and myself matching cross t-shirts. I have also made the girls some cute easy fit pants that are capri length, reversible Spring A-Line dresses, patchwork skirts, and peek-a-boo twirl skirts. I have found really cute patterns at You Can Make This which I love because I don't have time to hang out in the fabric store looking through books of patterns. And of course I have made a few bows. All of this I have had to do very slowly because my hand will only go for about an hour on the machine before it hurts like heck.


I am finally back at work and have now started therapy on my hand so there isn't a whole lot of time for DIY and HGTV anymore. Good thing because staying home was costing me too much money.

No comments: